Monday, November 9, 2020

Location Sentimentality

If someone asks me if I remember a specific person in a classroom I often ask them where they were sitting. I’m more likely to know who they are referring to if I know where they were. Telling me what they were wearing or what they look like is rarely helpful. Basically location is very important to trigger my memory.

It works the same way with memories. I’m far more likely to remember and share memories when I return to the location in which the situation occurred.

The other day Jeremy was laughing at me for keeping a book mark that was really just a scrap of paper, but I explained who gave it to me and the circumstances surrounding it. He said maybe it is a good thing that I was keeping it because I have such a location based memory and that item triggers my memory just like a location would. 

This made me wonder... Do the people that are considered to be the most sentimental also have locational memories? Are those 2 linked? 


No comments:

Post a Comment